What is it about sardines that makes people jump for joy? They are small and have a lot of tiny bones. It seems like a lot of work for the small amount of food you get in the end. That said, you might want to take another look at sardines and get the canned variety that are not only skinless, but boneless too. Click this link to see a step by step for this recipe by our Seasonal Chef.
This quick pasta dinner starring sardines will be done in a snap, for a quick mid-week dinner.
- 2 – 3.5-4 oz cans boneless, skinless sardines
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion, 1/4″ dice
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 lb fresh tomato pasta
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Drain the sardines, gently breaking in small pieces, and set aside.
- In a 13″ skillet toast the breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove and place in a bowl to cool.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a big pinch of crushed red pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes until golden brown Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Meanwhile put a small pot of salted water on to boil and add the pasta. Cook for 3 minutes. Using tongs or a spider ladle remove from water and add to the tomato sauce along with 1 cup of the water. Continue to cook the pasta for 3 more minutes in the sauce tossing gently.
- Turn off the heat and add the parsley and lemon zest tossing well.
- Add the sardines, a little parmesan cheese if desired. Taste for seasoning.
- Toss gently and serve right away.