What is a caipirinha? Aside from being Brazil’s national cocktail, it’s a sultry burst of springtime flavors, blended with samba and all I adore about the biggest country in South America. I’m in love with Brazil, and dreaming about my next visit. Another sip of caipirinha…
Caipirinha photo by Dasha Wright for Mambo Mixers!
Kiwi caipirinhas are great spring and summertime cocktails! You can prepare the kiwi ahead of time and store in in airtight containers for up to a couple of days. If you're making more than one at a time, simply double to make two at a time. I've made pitchers, but it's a tasting thing more than a measuring thing! My advice? Make one first--so you know what it should taste like--and then go from there...
- 1 kiwi, peeled, quartered, plus 1 clase for garnish
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar, or to taste
- 2 ounces cachaça (Brazilian rum available at large liquor stores--I like Canario or the more expensive, Leblon)
- Ice cubes
- Place the kiwi and sugar in a tall bar glass.
- Use a pestle or the end of a wooden spoon to mash the kiwi and sugar together.
- Add the cachaça and stir.
- Add ice, cover, and shake.
- Pour into a glass, garnish with the kiwi and lime slice, and serve immediately.