Looking for something new to do with your next bunch of asparagus? Using coarse cornmeal give your baked asparagus a crunchy alternative to the typical grilled or roasted spear. Click this link to: read more about asparagus from our Seasonal Chef Maria Reina.
The next time you are faced with the typical option of blanching or grilling asparagus, try this application. These crunchy baked asparagus spears will be a sure hit at the dinner table.
- 1 lb asparagus, washed, patted dry and trimmed
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground chipotle chili pepper
- Olivio Buttery Spray, optional
- 1/2 lime, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed sheet tray.
- Place the beaten eggs in a shallow pan. Combine the cornmeal, chili and salt in another pan.
- Dip the asparagus spears in the egg and then roll in the cornmeal. Place on the wire rack. Continue until all spears are coated. (You may need 2 racks.)
- If using, lightly spritz the spears with the Olivio spray. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately, drizzling with a little fresh lime juice if desired.
If you want a slightly milder flavor use a regular chili powder instead.