This quick radish slaw is put together in no time at all and perfect with a quick soft shell crab sandwich. To read more about radishes by our Seasonal Chef click this link: Radishes at the Farmers Market.
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick sliced Cherry Belle radishes
- 1 cup matchstick sliced Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup chopped chives
- 4 soft shell crabs, cleaned by your fishmonger
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- ½ cup Wondra flour
- ½ teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 4 soft rolls
- Combine the cabbage, radish, apple and carrot in a large bowl. Whisk the lemon zest, juice, oil and seasoning in a small bowl. Pour over the slaw and toss well.
- Meanwhile in a shallow bowl combine the cornmeal, flour and seasoning. Season the crabs with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour mixture.
- Place the grapeseed oil a sauté pan over medium high heat. When it starts to smoke slightly add the crabs and cook for about 3 minutes in each side. When they are cooked through set aside on a platter.
- The cabbage should be a little soft at that point. Give it a good toss and add in the nuts and chives. Taste for seasoning. Place the crab on a roll and top with slaw and enjoy!