My food = magic thing has been going on for some time. This, mis queridos amigos, is inspired by my recent re-viewing of one of my favorite movies, Como el Agua Para Chocolate, Like Water for Chocolate, and the passing of one of my favorite authors, Gabriel García Marquez.
Movies, books, and food share a lot. A great meal, like a movie or book, can “send” you to a different time and place, or into a moment of great sensual pleasure. Now stay with me! This salsa that I’m presenting to you today is a simple one, but it’s layered in a fabulous flavor combination; this Roasted Jalapeño and Citrus Salsa is a dance of oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes: they all work so well together to enhance each other, and the dish they blanket or nuzzle against. And, as I’ve said before, es una belleza, it’s a beauty. The sparkling citrus segments stand out against the new green and call, “Yes! Spring is here!”
Photo by Miki Duisterhof from Nueva Salsa, Palomino and Gargagliano, Chronicle Books
So on this weekend, which is a holiday weekend for many of us, following another holiday week for many of us, I hope you’ll have plenty of magic—and, of course, great food—in your lives! ¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
This citrus-filled salsa, originally from Nueva Salsa, is perfect with grilled fish, delicious with salad greens, and even ideal on its own with chips! You can make it ahead, and store it for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature and stir in the scallions just prior to serving.
- 2 roasted jalapeños, peeled, seeded and diced
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 lemon, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 lime, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 tablespoons excellent quality olive oil
- Coarse salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon 1/4-inch diagonally cut scallions, with additional greens for garnish
- Combine the chiles, orange zest and citrus segments in a large bowl.
- Stir in the oil, salt, and sugar to taste.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes, and then stir in the scallions, garnish and serve!