Looking for a healthier option to curb that snack attack? This is an easy sweet and salty granola recipe you can adjust to your own taste. Click this link: to read more about healthy snacks by our Seasonal Chef Maria Reina.
Adapted from The Gluten-Free Baking blog this sweet and salty granola cooks up in less than 30 minutes and is utterly delicious!
- 1/2 cup raw (demerara) sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups pre-made granola, I like Nature's Path brand
- 1 cup unsalted mixed nuts (walnut, almond, pistachio, hazelnut, pepita)
- 1/2 cup carob chips
- 1/2 - 1 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 - 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- Maldon salt flakes or Himalayan Pink sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large rimmed cookie sheet with PAM.
- Place the sugar, butter, syrup, cinnamon and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute on high, stir and cook for another minute. Stir until the sugar is melted.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Measure 5 cups if you want a brittle-type granola and 6 cups for a crumbly granola, good for topping fruit or yogurt.
- Pour the melted liquid over the dry ingredients and stir to coat all the ingredients.
- Pour out on to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until it takes on a nice golden brown color.
- While it cooks place 2 Silpat sheets on the counter, or a large sheet of parchment paper. Once the granola reaches the color you desire removed from over and pour it out onto the Silpat or parchment paper and sprinkle with Maldon or Himalayan Pink salt.
- Cool completely and place in an airtight container.