Yes, mis queridos amigos: the sky’s the limit when it comes to so many things and salsa is no exception! My guiding principles for salsa? Winning colors, textures, and of course flavors! This one, the Grapefruit, Cucumber and Mint Salsa, sings the song of spring, and Mother’s Day! Whether you’d like to dress up your salad, or add something to your grilled fish or meat, this Grapefruit, Cucumber and Mint Salsa will enhance your dishes. Or you might enjoy it with some excellent quality chips, and a margarita, for Cinco de Mayo!
AND, if you’re looking for some Cinco de Mayo sips to go with your salsa, check this out! ¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
This simple citrus salad, adapted from Nueva Salsa (Palomino/Gargagliano) is great atop fresh arugula and more. Also, you can make it ahead of time, cover and refrigerate; just don’t add the olive oil or mint until just before serving!
- 3 pink grapefruits, peeled, seeded, and cut into segments
- 3 cucumbers, seeded and diced (I like the smaller, Persian cucumbers)
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1/4 orange
- Olive oil to taste
- 10 fresh mint leaves, stacked, rolled an cut into fine shreds
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the grapefruits and cucumbers.
- Stir in the orange juice and zest.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Add olive oil and then mint leaves, taste, add salt as needed, and serve!