Playhouse Market Ribbon Cutting: Harvey and Bo Weissman, co-owners; Kevin Nulty, Orangetown Police Chief; Jan Degenshein, architect; Dawn Hershko, designer, co-owner; Jen White, Nyack Mayor; Ellen Jaffee, Assembly Member; Bonnie Christian, South Nyack Mayor; Andy Stewart, Orangetown Supervisor
Photo Credit: Angela Gaul of Milestone Images
After opening back in February, Playhouse Market held its grand opening celebration on Thursday May 8th, with admission proceeds benefiting Rockland Center for the Arts. Platinum VIP admissions included 3 top shelf drinks and a goody bag; regular admissions received 2 wine or beer drinks. The event included live music (with a DJ afterwards), dancing, and of course fabulous food.
A counter in the front/center of the space featured quite the spread from Head Chef David Anderson, which included:
- Assorted canapés and brushettas
- Chilled shrimp cocktail
- Mini crab cakes w/ caper-dill tartar sauce
- Grilled dry aged sirloin on crostini with horseradish and chile aioli
- Honey-coriander cured salmon with minted-cumin yogurt-Cucumber sauce
- Marinated Asian style filet mignon satay
- Seared pacific tuna sliders with wasabi/ginger aioli and sesame/scallion salad
- Duck confit sliders with caramelized onions and dijon-thyme-honey dressing
- Pizza bites, including a fig and goat cheese pizza with pesto, pancetta and truffle honey
Pastry chef Samantha Falcon’s dessert selection included:
- Dark, white, & milk chocolate cream puffs
- Shortbread tart with raspberry preserves and chocolate pudding topped with fresh whipped cream
- Shortbread tart with lemon curd and lone blueberry
- Chocolate almond cone filled with chocolate pudding and creamy caramel with toasted walnuts
- Spice cone with lime curd with graham cracker crumbs on top
I caught up with owner Dawn Hershko regarding developments at the Market since we last spoke for New on the Dining Scene. The Oyster Bar is now on weekends only, and there’s live jazz every Sunday. The bar has been doing well, as has the brick oven pizza. The space has also seen a lot of private events.
In between musical acts, Rockland Center for the Arts Board President Robert L. Fellows made a speech thanking the owners of Playhouse Market for letting RoCA be their “cultural partner” for grand opening. He also described Playhouse Market as “an integral part of this community,” and acknowledged them for restoring the grandeur of the Helen Hayes playhouse.