Deep plum red, rich in summertime flavors, and deliciosísimas, the Blackberry Margarita is the new margarita in my life…and maybe soon in yours! Margaritas, like other lime based drinks (think caipirinhas and mojitos) are akin to canvases: they can be painted with many a fruit. Blackberries have been abundant these last few weeks, and so I was inspired. This is just a slight variation from a recipe I shared on my Latin Twist blog in May of 2013, the classic margarita! The classic margarita has three principal ingredients: tequila, lime juice, and Cointreau or triple sec. As I always say, vary amounts according to what you enjoy most (yes, my friends, play with your drinks!), but these three components are key! This one, the blackberry margarita, adds this aforementioned luscious fruit to the mix. The result? Just fabulous…
And, my friends, if you’d like to make a virgin version, simply double up on lime juice, add some water, and you’ll have a kind of blackberry limeade that is just as gorgeous, tasty and refreshing. ¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
This recipe is easy to multiply for a crowd. Also, if you would like enjoy your blackberry margarita as a frozen treat, simply strain the limes out, pour the mixture into a blender, add sufficient ice, and mix away until you've got your desired consistency!
- 1 lime cut into eighths, plus an additional segment for garnish
- 4 blackberries, plus additional for garnish
- Sugar, to taste (note: May not be necessary!)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 cup ice cubes
- In a bar glass, muddle the lime and the blackberries with a little bit of sugar.
- Add the lime juice and ice.
- Pour in the tequila, Cointreau or triple sec.
- Add the ice. Shake well and strain (if you’d like it straight up!) or just pour into the prepared glass.
Blackberry Margarita Serves 1
1 lime cut into eighths, plus an additional segment for garnish
4 blackberries, plus additional for garnish
Sugar, to taste (note: May not be necessary!)
Juice from 1 lime
1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
1/2 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
1 cup ice cubes
In a bar glass, muddle the lime and the blackberries with a little bit of sugar. Add the lime juice and ice. Pour in the tequila, Cointreau or triple sec. Add the ice. Shake well and strain (if you’d like it straight up!) or just pour into the prepared glass.