Strawberry season has arrived, and while they’re tasty all on their own, the first wave of the summer heat has us thinking bigger. When shopping for berries, look for ones that are deep red and glossy for the best flavor.
Here are four of our favorite fresh strawberry cocktails to put those summer jewels to work.
- 6 ounces rum
- 4 ounces lime juice
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulls removed, reserving 4 for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- Put everything in a blender. Pulse until well blended. Slice the reserved strawberries from the tail to the hull, leaving the hull in tact. Pour the daiquiris into the glasses, and hang one strawberry on the edge of the glass.
Adapted from Mambo Mixers, ©2005, Arlen Gargagliano
- 8 strawberries, stemmed and sliced, plus 2 for garnish
- 1 to 2 teaspoons superfine sugar, or to taste
- 4 to 5 ounces sake
- Ice cubes
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a tall bar glass. Use a pestle or the end of a wooden spoon to mash the strawberries and sugar together. Add the sake and stir. Add ice, over, and shake. Pour into two glasses, garnish with the strawberries, and serve immediately.
Adapted from Mambo Mixers, ©2005, Arlen Gargagliano (Photo by Dasha Wright)
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar, or to taste
- 3/4 cup pisco
- 1 bottle dry white or red wine (preferably Chilean), chilled
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Combine the strawberries with the sugar and pisco. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Pour the wine into a pitcher filled with ice. Pour the pisco mixture on tip. Stir and serve immediately.
Mojitos--with the fresh flavors of mint and lime--are the perfect summertime barbecue cocktail! The strawberry and jalapeño twist make this one a fun and super flavorful variation!
- 1 tablespoon diced strawberries, or to taste
- 6 to 10 fresh mint leaves (plus more to garnish!)
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño or to taste
- About 2 teaspoons sugar, or according to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
- 1 cup of ice
- 2 oz. light rum
- In a bar glass, combine the strawberries, mint, jalapeño, and sugar and muddle until you smell the fabulous fragrance of fresh-mint.
- Add the lime juice.
- Add one cup of ice.
- Add the rum.
- Add the ice and shake well.
- Pour into the prepared glass, garnish, and serve!