Punchy, refreshing and freshly shaken. That’s how we like to toast this great nation of ours. Shake up something festive for yourself and fellow patriots with these cocktails for the Fourth of July, courtesy of Latin Twist blogger and beverage connoisseur Arlen Gargagliano.
Mojitos--with the fresh flavors of mint and lime--are the perfect summertime barbecue cocktail! The strawberry and jalapeño twist make this one a fun and super flavorful variation!
- 1 tablespoon diced strawberries, or to taste
- 6 to 10 fresh mint leaves (plus more to garnish!)
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño or to taste
- About 2 teaspoons sugar, or according to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
- 1 cup of ice
- 2 oz. light rum
- In a bar glass, combine the strawberries, mint, jalapeño, and sugar and muddle until you smell the fabulous fragrance of fresh-mint.
- Add the lime juice.
- Add one cup of ice.
- Add the rum.
- Add the ice and shake well.
- Pour into the prepared glass, garnish, and serve!
Frozen Lime Margaritas are great for steamy summer evenings. This crowd-pleaser is the perfect barbecue refreshment! For bigger crowds, simply multiply amounts.
- 2 cups ice
- 2 ounces white tequila
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- Sugar to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and icey.
- Pour into the prepared glass, and serve!
This recipe, adapted from the original one I wrote in Mambo Mixers, is one you can easily multiply for a crowd. AND you can make a frozen version of this blueberry pisco sour!
- 1/2 lime, cut into quarters
- About 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (you can use frozen, in a pinch!), plus additional for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar--or to taste
- 2 ounces pisco (Peruvian Brandy)
- 1 lime, cut into
- 1/2 ounce egg whites
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Chill a martini glass in the freezer.
- In bar glass, muddle the limes, blueberries, and sugar.
- Add more lime juice if needed.
- Add the ice, pisco, and egg whites and shake well.
- Strain into the chilled glass and serve!