It’s August, and if you have a vegetable garden, you are probably enjoying a bounty of zucchini right about now. If you are searching for something new to do with all that summer squash, these zucchini blueberry muffins are a lovely alternative to the all-too-common zucchini bread. In these mini treats, zucchini is paired with another summer delight, blueberries, to create a dessert/snack that’s perfect for any time of day. The zucchini is extremely subtle in these muffins, undetectable really, so they taste like more little blueberry cakes than zucchini bread, making them a particular hit with children. Best of all, they are so tiny that kids can consume them in a single bite (and moms won’t feel guilty doing the same.) Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons to coat blueberries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups peeled, finely chopped zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Confectioner’s sugar or coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 375 F. Line a mini muffin pan with foil liners or spray with no-stick cooking spray.
- Finely chop zucchini - a food processor makes quick work on this. It will look wet, which is ok (mini muffins need a lot of moisture.)
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla and sugar with electric mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended. Add 1 ½ cups of flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until just blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Gently coat blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the baked muffins. Then, ever so gently, fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Using a tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop, spoon batter into cups, filling each almost to the top. Try to get roughly the same amount of blueberries into each muffin. Bake two trays at a time for 10 - 13 minutes or until the muffins are golden. Cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioner’s or coarse sugar, if desired, before serving.
- Makes about 5 dozen mini muffins.