This recipe accompanies a story on a Rosh Hashana celebration with a Latin twist. Read more here.
- 1/2 cup parve (non-dairy) margarine (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated pumpkin
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tins or small loaf tins.
- Melt margarine in small sauce pan on low heat.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar for about two minutes. Add the melted margarine, almond milk, carrots, pumpkin and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt over the egg mixture and stir until it is smooth. Fold in the dates.
- Bake on middle shelf for about 20 minutes or insert toothpick in center to see that it comes out clean.