Hurray! It’s officially apple season. So whether your favorite is the classic Red Delicious, the tart Granny Smith, the sweet Gala or a less common variety, be sure to visit your closest apple farm and pick a bushel of your choosing. And after a fun-filled (exhausting) day climbing trees, collecting the most pristine fruits for your family, give this easy, homey cake a try. It is, in my opinion, the ultimate comfort food. The glaze is mouth-watering for caramel lovers, so if you fall into that group, you may want to double the glaze recipe. If, on the other hand, you’re looking to make the cake more healthful, you can skip the glaze altogether. It will still be delicious and moist, and the flavors are even better the second day! Made with or without the caramel glaze, this cake will make you the apple of someone’s eye, guarantee it.
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- GLAZE INGREDIENTS (OPTIONAL):
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour a bundt cake pan.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer until frothy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add oil and orange juice and mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients and mix at low speed until well combined.
- Add apples and mix at low speed.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then carefully invert onto plate.
- You may sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve, or drizzle a caramel glaze over the cake.
- To make glaze: Heat the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar; boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow the caramel to cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle over the cake and serve.