This post is part of our series on my cookie swap tradition. Every December, for the past ten years, I’ve invited friends to join me in a cookie exchange. Over the years, our party has evolved into a mother-daughter event, hence the many recipe contributors listed on some of the posts! Each post contains a favorite recipe from past exchanges.
This recipe comes from my friend, Cynthia, who inspired one of my summer recipes, the peach and berries pie. Here is her recipe for these coconut macaroons with candied cherries, they are as lovely as they are delicious.
- 2 2/3 cups flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 egg whites (powdered ones are ok)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in mixing bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract. Stir in almonds; mix well
- Drop from teaspoon onto lightly greased baking sheets. Garnish with candied cherry halves, if desired. Bake at 325 F for 20 – 25 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets immediately.
- Makes about 2 ½ dozen.
Win more than $700 worth of prizes! The Journal News Cookie Swap will be held at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the new Chef Central location at 419 Tarrytown Road, Greenburgh. Suburban Sweets blogger Josephine D’Ippolito will teach everyone how to host their own cookie swap, with tips on everything from the guest list to the decorating sprinkles. Food writer Megan McCaffrey will host. Come down, meet our experts, share in some cookies and enter to win more than $700 worth of prizes! We’re giving away a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cookware, a waffle maker — and a basket of must-have bakeware selected by Josephine herself.