This post is part of our series on my cookie swap tradition. Every December, for the past ten years, I’ve invited friends to join me in a cookie exchange. Over the years, our party has evolved into a mother-daughter event, hence the many recipe contributors listed on some of the posts! Each post contains a favorite recipe from past exchanges.
This is the recipe I shared at my very first cookie exchange. I came up with it after realizing that traditional gingerbread was much too ‘gingery’ for my kids. This mellow version has about 1/3 of the ginger and is usually adored by children and adults alike.
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Whisk together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in medium bowl.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add egg and molasses, and beat on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down and add flour mixture. Blend on low speed just until combined; do not over mix.
- Separate dough into two balls and flatten to disks. Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour until firm.
- Between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (no flour necessary!) roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into gingerbread men with cookie cutters. Place on baking sheets 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes being careful not to brown. Transfer to a cool flat surface. Store in airtight container.
Win more than $700 worth of prizes! The Journal News Cookie Swap will be held at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the new Chef Central location at 419 Tarrytown Road, Greenburgh. Suburban Sweets blogger Josephine D’Ippolito will teach everyone how to host their own cookie swap, with tips on everything from the guest list to the decorating sprinkles. Food writer Megan McCaffrey will host. Come down, meet our experts, share in some cookies and enter to win more than $700 worth of prizes! We’re giving away a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cookware, a waffle maker — and a basket of must-have bakeware selected by Josephine herself.