This post is part of our series on my cookie swap tradition. Every December, for the past ten years, I’ve invited friends to join me in a cookie exchange. Over the years, our party has evolved into a mother-daughter event, hence the many recipe contributors listed on some of the posts! Each post contains a favorite recipe from past exchanges.
This recipe comes from Ellen and Summer and are the best butter cookies I’ve ever had. The recipe was found by Ellen in a box of her grandmother’s recipes. Thank you, Ellen, for sharing this one with us, and thank you, Grandma Erna!
- 1 cup butter - 2 sticks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanialla
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream butter, stir in 1/2 cup sugar, add egg - mix
- Add 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Gradually add flour with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Roll dough in waxed paper, chill two hours
- Roll out into your choice of shapes onto greased cookie sheet
- Brush egg yolk on them and sprinkle with your choice of sugar or sprinkles
- Bake at 375 F for about 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown
Win more than $700 worth of prizes! The Journal News Cookie Swap will be held at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the new Chef Central location at 419 Tarrytown Road, Greenburgh. Suburban Sweets blogger Josephine D’Ippolito will teach everyone how to host their own cookie swap, with tips on everything from the guest list to the decorating sprinkles. Food writer Megan McCaffrey will host. Come down, meet our experts, share in some cookies and enter to win more than $700 worth of prizes! We’re giving away a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cookware, a waffle maker — and a basket of must-have bakeware selected by Josephine herself.