This post is part of our series on my cookie swap tradition. Every December, for the past ten years, I’ve invited friends to join me in a cookie exchange. Over the years, our party has evolved into a mother-daughter event, hence the many recipe contributors listed on some of the posts! Each post contains a favorite recipe from past exchanges.
This one comes from Lisa and Kelly, who tend to make the most beautiful tiny cookies each year. These are special little gems and absolutely worth the little bit of extra time you’ll need to make them.
- Ingredients for cookies:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Ingredients for filling:
- 8-12 Tbsp. butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon divided
- Ingredients for frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-4 Tbsp. milk
- Cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Divide dough into 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.
- Once chilled, cut each disc into thirds and roll into a 1/8 inch thick oval, about 12 inches X 5 inches. Spread each rolled pieces of dough with 1-2 tablespoons softened butter, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Start rolling from the long end closest to you, rolling into a log shape. Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch pieces of dough then placing onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 9-11 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
- To prepare frosting, beat the cream cheese until softened and smooth, slowly add vanilla, powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency.
- Add more powdered sugar/milk as needed. Frost cookies then place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Win more than $700 worth of prizes! The Journal News Cookie Swap will be held at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the new Chef Central location at 419 Tarrytown Road, Greenburgh. Suburban Sweets blogger Josephine D’Ippolito will teach everyone how to host their own cookie swap, with tips on everything from the guest list to the decorating sprinkles. Food writer Megan McCaffrey will host. Come down, meet our experts, share in some cookies and enter to win more than $700 worth of prizes! We’re giving away a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cookware, a waffle maker — and a basket of must-have bakeware selected by Josephine herself.