This post is part of our series on my cookie swap tradition. Every December, for the past ten years, I’ve invited friends to join me in a cookie exchange. Over the years, our party has evolved into a mother-daughter event, hence the many recipe contributors listed on some of the posts! Each post contains a favorite recipe from past exchanges.
This recipe comes from my sister, Fran. There’s something about using whole wheat flour in cookies that takes 100% of the guilt out of consuming them (at least for my sister and I.) Thankfully, this cookie is just as delicious as the white flour version.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 cup white sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs, and then the molasses. Combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice, heaping the measures if you like a lot of spice. Stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture just until blended.
- Roll the dough into small balls, and dip the top of each ball into the remaining white sugar. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are cracked. Bake longer for crispy cookies, less time for chewy cookies. Cool on wire racks.
Win more than $700 worth of prizes! The Journal News Cookie Swap will be held at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the new Chef Central location at 419 Tarrytown Road, Greenburgh. Suburban Sweets blogger Josephine D’Ippolito will teach everyone how to host their own cookie swap, with tips on everything from the guest list to the decorating sprinkles. Food writer Megan McCaffrey will host. Come down, meet our experts, share in some cookies and enter to win more than $700 worth of prizes! We’re giving away a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cookware, a waffle maker — and a basket of must-have bakeware selected by Josephine herself.