Lent begins today, and many people abstain from eating meat during this period. Whether or not you are such a person, this quick recipe using spinach, quinoa and shrimp is perfect for a Lenten lunch. It can be easily made vegetarian/vegan by simply leaving out the fish.
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup chopped vegan ham-style seitan
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 3 Tbs slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan white wine
- salt (optional)
- parsley/chives/scallions for garnish, optional
- Heat the oil over medium heat in soup pot.
- Add onions and saute until fragrant.
- Add flour, and cook over medium heat until it comes together with onions/oil.
- Add broth gradually and whisk with previous ingredients to combine thoroughly. Bring to a boil, and then cook for one minute longer.
- Add rice, vegan ham, carrot and almonds. Stir to combine and simmer an additional 5 minute.
- Add white wine, cook until heated through.
- Taste for salt; serve in bowls with garnish.
Spinach, Quinoa and Shrimp Bowl
1 cup tri-color quinoa
Extra virgin olive oil
24 medium peeled and deveined shrimp
Ground black pepper
1 small red onion, about 1 cup, ¼” dice
4-5 garlic cloves minced
16 oz spinach
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. In a small pot bring 2 cups of water, with teaspoon of salt, to boil. Add the quinoa, reduce to a simmer and cover. Set the timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes turn off the heat and keep the pot covered. After another 5 minutes remove the lid and fluff.
2. While the quinoa cooks prepare the rest of the dish. In a large saute pan add 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and sear on both sides and remove to a bowl. Cool slightly and chop in quarters.
3. Add a little more oil to the pan and saute the onion and garlic, with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Once they become caramelized add the spinach and ¼ of water to loosen up the bits. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until wilted.
4. Add the quinoa, shrimp, lemon zest and juice. Toss to combine. Add a little more olive oil as needed and seasoning. Serve warm or room temperature.
Cook’s Note: this can easily be made vegetarian/vegan: simply leave out the shrimp.