We’ve all been looking for spring this year…maybe more than most. Well, mis queridos amigos, it’s here! And what better way to celebrate than with fabulous food and colorful cocktails? On this sunny Sunday, I’m sharing a recipe for a dark rum and pineapple sip, an old-time classic, Planter’s Punch.
According to legend, this is a Jamaican-born drink. Though I don’t think I enjoyed it in the West Indies, I have served it, along with one of my favorites, Jamaican Banana Fritters (recipe to come!) and dreamed of a being.
Tropical and breezy, one sip of Planter’s Punch will transport you to the Caribbean. ¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
A soulful nourishing pot of shredded chicken, black beans and vegetables in a deeply flavored peanut and coconut sauce.
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 11/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 pods of garlic, minced
- 3 pounds of skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons soy or fish sauce
- 11/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 11/2 cups (about 1 15 oz can) of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cups water
- ½ cup of pre-soaked black beans
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup of chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in the base of a pressure cooker and add in the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add in the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the soy or fish sauce,sugar and the red cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Stir in the coconut milk, peanut butter, water and the black beans cover and cook under pressure for about 20 minutes.
- Cool and remove the lid, remove the bones from the chicken and return the shredded chicken to the stew and stir well.
- Add in the mushrooms and the red bell pepper to the stew and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in the lime juice and stir in the basil and the chopped cilantro and serve.
Ice cubes4 ounces dark rum (I’m a big Meyers fan…but Mount Gay is nice with this one!)
5 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice1 ounce fresh lime juice
2 dashes grenadine
superfine sugar, to taste
Cherries (for garnish)
In a shaker filled with ice, combine the rum, the juice, and the grenadine. Shake briskly. Pour without straining into two glasses. Top with club soda, garnish with the cherries and serve.