I love the diversity that the summer weather offers, often meshing these rainy cool days with sunny warm series. It helps us keep the kitchen fare interesting, after all if we just had three months of smoky grilled fare meshed with salads, we would not relish it all that much at least I would not. The seasonal diversity appeals to the spontaneous, free style cook in me. So, with today’s misty cool day, I wanted a deeply flavored heart-warming stew, a curry really…
One of the tested and tried tools of an Indian kitchen is a pressure cooker, it is something that my mother and mother-in-law both agree on (just that should convince you of its universal appeal) and certainly a gadget that I have seen being used for the past three generations in our household. Given the reliance on beans and legumes, a pressure cooker is an everyday item and it certainly works well for stews as well. In fact, today’s Thai inspired hearty chicken dish gets done in just about 35 minutes with the help of a pressure cooker.
With a nice dose of vegetables, black beans and shredded chicken you a beautiful bowl of goodness that is extremely versatile. I start out using bone-in chicken thighs and then actually remove the meat of the bone to make the stew easier to handle. It works well just by itself and is pure comfort over a helping of steamed hot Jasmine rice. It pretty much uses pantry staples, like peanut butter, coconut milk and basil to create a nuanced and flavorful sauce that will bring the flavors of Thailand to your table. The recipe that I am putting together here makes about 10 servings, which is usually larger than what I need for a day or two so I tend to freeze about half of this for the next rainy day.
A soulful nourishing pot of shredded chicken, black beans and vegetables in a deeply flavored peanut and coconut sauce.
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 11/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 pods of garlic, minced
- 3 pounds of skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons soy or fish sauce
- 11/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 11/2 cups (about 1 15 oz can) of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cups water
- ½ cup of pre-soaked black beans
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup of chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in the base of a pressure cooker and add in the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add in the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the soy or fish sauce,sugar and the red cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Stir in the coconut milk, peanut butter, water and the black beans cover and cook under pressure for about 20 minutes.
- Cool and remove the lid, remove the bones from the chicken and return the shredded chicken to the stew and stir well.
- Add in the mushrooms and the red bell pepper to the stew and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in the lime juice and stir in the basil and the chopped cilantro and serve.