Kashmir nestled in the Himalayan mountains, offers a culinary heritage that is delicate and nuanced. As with all the regional cuisine of India, the food showcases what the land offers, and the Kashmir region offers apples, oranges and other fruit along with a lot of the fall flavors that can be found in abundance here in the Hudson Valley Fall. However, instead of dousing the fruit in sugar and butter, they are often added to savory dishes to create a delicate balance of sweet and savory flavors.
Now, if there is place for chicken on the bone in your life, it is a deeply satisfying and slow cooked chicken curry like this. It might not be the prettiest to use whole chicken cut up the way I have done here, but let me tell you the depth of flavor in this dish cannot be replicated without chicken on the bone, if you do not want to deal with a whole chicken, you can use a combination of chicken legs and chicken breast cut up to approximate the textures. The broth gets its flavor from cooking low and slow, the spicing is fairly simple, I use homemade curry powder and you can take a look at this video to see how I do my blend, and while you are at it do subscribe to my you tube channel.
A delicately seasoned chicken curry from the Kashmir region of India that puts our fall vegetables to good use.
- 2 and half pounds of skinned chicken on the bone (a whole chicken cut up, or skinned chicken thighs)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (see recipe on page XXX)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice (1 lime or ½ a lemon)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium sized red onions, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 medium sized tart apple such as a Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 medium potatoes (such as Yukon Golds), peeled and cut into eights
- ¼ cup of green lentils
- 1 teaspoon coarsely crushed black peppercorns (optional)
- Chopped apples to garnish (stir in the chopped apples and serve)
- Method of Preparation
- Wash and dry the chicken, rub with the curry powder and sprinkle with the fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Heat the oil and add in the red onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, add in the ginger, garlic, bay leaves and apples and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and cook the chicken on medium heat for about 10 minutes, the mixture should be very fragrant and well browned.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, stir in the Kashmiri red chili powder, salt, carrots, potatoes, green lentils and the coarsely crushed peppercorns if using with about 2 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with chopped apples and serve.